microLIQUID is now a TE Connectivity Company. Read More
Flow Cytometry : Advantages of using Microfluidics
Positive aspects about Flow Cytometer based on Microfluidics:
1. To have a high purity and recovery for the sorted cell population.
2. To sort based on an intracellular characteristic in which magnetic beads would not have access.
3. To sort cell labelled with fluorescent probes for nuclear or other intracellular targets.
4. To have information about cell surface molecules.
5. To sort different receptors even if they are low in density.
6. To sort cells according to absence, density or presence of the receptors.
Flow Cytometry using Microfluidics
Flow cytometry is a laser-based technology used in cell counting, cell sorting, biomarker detection or protein engineering.
By suspending cells and passing these suspending cells by passing them using an electronic detection machine, flow cytometry is done.
This technique allows making simultaneous analysis of the different characteristics of the more than a thousand particles per second.
This technique is usually used in the diagnosis of health disorders, in most of the cases blood cancers, but it is used in many medical trials, such as to sort particles according to their properties or purify populations of interest.